hell and Maya hem part 2!!!

After much frustration I have managed to install the Mental Ray plug in and add some materials to my model. Unfortunately I am still having issues creating a PSD network to allow a workflow between Maya and Photoshop. That said, I have had a little fun with a 2D shot of my model in Photoshop. I have used some internet images to create a realistic background and used various painting techniques over the top to create a more readable structure, and to add depth and atmosphere. I still have a long way to go but feel I am progressing nicely! I am looking forward to what can be achieved next.

Hell and Maya hem!!!!

As continued learning it was suggested that I look at trying to get to grips with the 3D software Maya. I was informed that this would be a steep learning curve…..you’re not kidding!!!! A couple of tutorials later I find that I have managed to build a swanky villa (courtesy of a tutorial found on Youtube) and now have the headache of trying to render it! My issue is that there are so many plug ins out there( many are expensive if you don’t know why you need them!), and different renderers, that I don’t really know where to begin. The last image shows my building after exporting as an Obj file to work on in Photoshop. This would be my preferred option of rendering at this stage of learning…. but it has its own problems. Back to some more research to find out how I can set up my student license Maya to allow me a PSD file network. I will see you on the other side, hopefully with progress shots of some nice Photoshop rendering!

Is this another of life’s mysteries?

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 18.41.25

Feeling quite proud of the fact that I am still slightly sane after my lengthy drawing mission today, I have managed to quite easily construct the lattice work as shown in the tutorial. It was quite a straightforward process and easy to follow. My battle has come with the fact that no matter how many attempts, and after double and triple checking measurements, my piece (on the right)  still does not quite match the exercise on the left! My outer rectangle measurement seems to be correct, as does the shape dimension and gap between the shape. I am flummoxed!!!! For now, this will have to remain as one of life’s mysteries as I have spent way too much time on this particular exercise. Perhaps as I learn more I will have a moment of enlightenment which will enable me to re visit :-).

One step forward….two back???

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 18.11.48

So, just when I allow myself to feel I am understanding Auto Cad and getting to grips with the tools, straight lines throw me a curveball( excuse the irony!). I started this exercise around lunchtime (between errands) and got a little stuck at the central lattice piece. After returning to the exercise I have needed to delete my lattice attempt a few times now.  I thought these straight lines would be easy! After trying to construct this initially with a serious of lines, I found a tutorial showing the pattern being constructed using the array tool. It’s taken me further failed attempts to realise that when adding spacing dimensions I need to account for the shape side length, as well as the distance between the shapes. This should now be easy !!!!! I will post the finished result when done. I can not believe I have puzzled for so long over something that I feel is extremely straightforward!!!!

Dimensions

Continuing on with my learning I decided that I wanted to be able to add dimensions to my work as seen in the set exercises. I discovered that this is fairly easy to achieve by using the dimension command on specific parts of the drawing. This is exciting! I find that I am fast becoming hooked on this software and am eager to progress. I also find a strange kind of beauty in engineering drawings. All of the exercises are reinforcing my learning of tools and I am becoming more fluent in my drawing. I am going to take this drawing as a starting point for inspiration for some 2D and 3D designs. I will chart my progress as it occurs.

Nearly…but not quite!

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 15.36.45

At the risk of being a little boring, yet another exercise. This is one I shall have to revisit at a later date after more learning. I managed to work all aspects of the drawing out apart from the outer edge of the mid section. As it is, the body of the piece is too round and should look slightly more dome shaped. I thought I had found the answer in the form of a whole selection of tutorials for the exercises I am working through, courtesy of Youtube. Alas! the end result was exactly the same as my own attempt. As I progress I will keep this exercise in mind and hopefully find a way to correct this one. A couple more of these exercise and I am then going to use some of the drawings as inspiration for further 3D experimentation and software learning.